Housing modifications for disabled people

The type of modifications we can help fund for your home will depend on your disability-related needs and your situation. Sometimes modifying your home may not be the best or only option for you. Maybe you should consider moving to another home that better suits your needs.

Modifications we can help fund

We might be able to help fund modifications to your home, such as:

  • handrails to help you use a set of steps leading into your home
  • a ramp or lift to help you get into and out of your home and to get between levels inside your home
  • a shower with level access to help you use your bathroom safely and independently, or with help from a carer
  • changes to doorways to make it easier for you to move around the rooms that you have to use in your home
  • fencing that will help stop you being injured because of your disability. (However, we cannot fund the usual fencing and security needs of young children.)

What we cannot fund

We cannot fund home modifications that:

  • cost less than $200
  • have already been completed before we have approved funding (unless there are important reasons why the modifications had to be made before our funding was approved)
  • are fittings that you would find in a standard home
  • are for general maintenance
  • are short-term modifications that might not support you to live in your home for at least 2 to 3 years
  • are repeating modifications that we funded previously (with exceptions).


How much Ministry of Health funding you can get


How you can get our support


Paying for the modifications


For more information about modifications


Community Residential Support Services

Community Residential Support Services allow you to live in a home-like setting in your community, while receiving support for up to 24 hours a day. This might include help with things like:

  • shopping
  • preparing and cooking meals
  • household chores such as washing your clothes and vacuuming
  • your personal cares such as eating and drinking, getting dressed and undressed, and taking a shower
  • getting out and doing things in your neighbourhood, for example going to see a movie and visiting friends.



Who can get Community Residential Support Services


How Community Residential Support Services are paid for


Find out more




Copyright© Disability Vehicle Association New Zealand , 2022 All Rights Reserved Powered by AFFINGER5.